Friday, January 21, 2011

Chinga goes BOOM!


Shanghai, China. 1990 & 2010. Via The Daily Wh.at

Over the past few years we've all heard of the architectural boom China has been going through. Beijing's 2008 Olympics were a clear example of what this Asian dragon can achieve. I've seen countless photos of the developments, the new towers and the impressive new master plans envisioned mostly by American and European architects and planners.

Today a friend shared this photo on Facebook and I was surprised to see how different Shanghai looks today compared to how it was back in 1990. Yes twenty years ago, Shanghai was not what it is today. The idea of a skyscraper was nonexistent. Today the idea of an open park seems to be what is missing.

I don't know what I feel of this fairly new urban development, but it is with out a doubt fascinating. I hope I can see it for myself sometime soon. I read recently in the New York Times that many architectural firms in the US are being commissioned by Chinese clients and American architects are gladly accepting jobs because they have unlimited budgets and no design restrictions: an architect's dream, right?

Maybe it's time to pick up language number five. Next step after college?

No comments:

Post a Comment